A teenage boy died after he drank three caffeinated during drinks in almost two hours. The boy is reported to have had no previous problem with his heart. Student, Davis Cripe, collapsed after he drank a large Mountain Dew drink, an energy drink and a latte in just under two hours.
The 16-year-old death was as a caused when his heart fell out of rhythm due to the amount of caffeine ingested into his system over such a short period of time. The final drink that likely caused the cardiac arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat) is said to have led to his death an hour later.
It was said that the speed at which he had the caffeinated drinks and not the the actual amount was what caused his death. The coroner said "the same amount of caffeine on another day may have been right". His schoolmates said that he "chugged" the large bottle of energy drink before becoming ill during a lesson.
Sean, Davis father, appealed to parents to "talk to your kids about the dangers of energy drinks". He pleaded with young people to "stop buying them". This news come as many students in colleges and universities are preparing for their final exams in May and June. Some have called that the NHS should be more robust in advising about the dangers of excessive intake of energy drinks.
There is no maximum consumption limit on the UK NHS website. The message on the website relating to caffine intake reads: "Caffeine affects some people more than others, and the effect can depend on how much caffeine you normally consume."